Friday 16 September 2011

Moods of the Rain ....

      Something happens when it rains. Doesn't it?  You can see bright & colourful umbrellas all around | Folks riding bikes as if they were rowing canoes | Birds wetting their beaks and heads in puddles of water and shaking all about | Two friends stranded by the rain, waiting under a fly over, taking time off on they way to work just to enjoy a smoke. I call all this - a different way of doing things, a break from the usual, something new....You can enjoy the thrill of driving through a huge puddle, hear the sound of ripples in water and feel a slight chill in the air. Its a time to let your hair down; dance if you're happy and go deep into your thoughts if you're caught up. There is something about the rain that makes time stop; that makes you pause and think more clearly than usual. And when you go overboard with that, you can sleep amazingly well, through the pitter-patter outside. A cuppa 'chai', a piping hot plate of 'pakoras', an interesting chat with close ones, a frisky pet frolicking around, a gripping book in hand or an engrossing movie to watch.........These are some of the things that make a rainy day special!

I used to feel, rain can hamper plans at times. But mostly, it adds a different charm to them. Rather than worrying about saving for a rainy day, sometimes these days are to be savoured too. Time does seem to halt when its pouring and if you're ready to halt too, you can do all of the above .........




Today, its raining like hell, but today, I want to run from where I'm sitting! There is a sense of urgency, packaged within the rain, that's asking me to go beyond. As I was driving this morning, watching people pause with the rain---everything around me moved in slow motion and I remembered all the lovely times I've had in the rain. But, today, I feel the need to be on the move and find that 'destination-in-waiting'......

I still love the rain, that's taking me on a solitary walk this time!

2 comments:

  1. :) your post reminded me of how once it was raining badly but we still wanted to go out for dinner. We kept sitting outside Rani's house in the dark...waiting for an auto to come and take us somewhere!! :D

    And other times when it used to be raining on our way back from office...and you always had an umbrella n I never did! n then we used to share!

    Rains here are beautiful too...but they don't add any charm to people's lives. Life goes on as usual...come rain or shine!

    I miss rains in India and the joy it brings along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya I remember that Gunjan !! and we finally did go out for dinner ...heh....bangalore rains are too good !!!

    ReplyDelete